This is one of my FAVOURITE Indian curries, a spicey spinach curry that will taste even better if you make your own paneer! Enjoy this one!
Ingredients for the spinach puree:
▪ 1 bunch fresh spinach/palak
▪ 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
▪ 1 garlic (optional)
▪ ½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
for the curry:
▪ 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
▪ 2 medium sized tomatos, chopped
▪ inch ginger, finely chopped
▪ 4-5 garlic, finely chopped
▪ 1 tsp cumin seeds
▪ ½ tsp ajwain seed
▪ 1 tsp turmeric powder
▪ ½ tsp chili powder
▪ 1/2 tsp a of asafoetida
▪ ½ tsp garam masala powder (add more if required)
▪ 1 bay leaf/tej patta
▪ 1 cup paneer
▪ 1 or 2 tbsp sour/cream
▪ 3 tbsp ghee
▪ 1 tsp methi leaves/dry fenugreek leaves
▪ salt as required
▪ water as required
Instructions making the spinach puree:
1. rinse the spinach very well in water.
2. boil water in a pan with some salt.
3. switch off the fire and add the spinach leaves in the hot water.
4. close with a lid and let the spinach leaves sit in the water for 2-3 mins.
5. drain and immediately add the leaves in a pan or bowl containing ice cold water.
6. this helps in preserving the green color of the spinach.
7. drain and then puree the spinach in a blender or hand blender with ginger and green chilies.
8. make a smooth puree.
making the curry:
1. heat oil or ghee in a pan.
2. fry the cumin & ajwain first, until you can smell the oil release.
3. then add the bay leaves, onions and ginger.
4. fry till the onions become browned and translucent.
5. now add the garlic and tomatoes.
6. fry till the tomatoes become soft.
7. add the turmeric powder, chili powder, fenegreek leaves, garam masala and asafoetida.
8. stir and fry for some seconds.
9. add the spinach puree.
10. add some water if required.
11. simmer for 6-7 minutes or more till the spinach is cooked.
12. lastly add salt to taste
13. stir and add the paneer cubes.
14. cook the gravy till the paneer cubes become soft.
15. add cream and stir.
16. simmer for 30 seconds or a minute.
Stir and serve the palak paneer hot with some chapatis, naan or rice.